Welcome GenX teachers,
The last two years have been challenging for many people, including dharma teachers. Fortunately, the next GenX Gathering is planned for July 2022 at the Won Dharma Center in New York.
We believe that this will be an excellent opportunity for us to contemplate and renew our minds while also deepening our bonds.
While there are still lingering uncertainties due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation, we’d like to put your mind at ease and provide some clarity about the in-person 2022 GenX Gathering at the Won Dharma Center.
♦ When: July 13(Wed) – July 17(Sun), 2022
♦ Where: The Won Dharma Center
The Won Dharma Center is a meditation/retreat center in upstate NY, set on over 400 rural acres with over 7.5 miles of beautiful walking trails. Surrounded by wooded foothills overlooking the Hudson Valley, it offers panoramic views of the Catskill Mountains.
A green community and sustainably designed with sensitivity to nature, the center consists of eco-friendly buildings intended to provide a tranquil and meditative atmosphere. The Won Dharma Center won the 2010 Design Award from Faith & Form / IFRAA International Awards Program for Religious Art and Architecture.
♦ Safety Protocols
We have taken numerous precautions to help ensure the safety of our staff and guests. With everyone’s cooperation we can work to maintain a safe environment at the Won Dharma Center.
The following are Won Dharma Center’s required safety protocols for the Gen-X Gathering.
- Our first priority is to protect the health of everyone who comes to the Won Dharma Center, including practitioners, staff, and teachers. As we believe that the well-being of every individual is deeply connected to the well-being of all living beings, we have a shared responsibility to protect public health and the safety of our community.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will continue to follow any COVID-19 guidelines set forth by our local officials, NYS and the CDC.
- Vaccination: All staff, teachers are fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
- All guests are required to show proof of vaccination OR a negative Covid-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of their arrival at the Won Dharma Center. The photo of the physical test kit with the negative result clearly indicated, or a photo/screenshot of the lab result. They also need to be covid symptom-free when they arrive at out facility. Guests will be asked a series of health questions and to sign a waiver at check-in.
- Masks are recommended: Following CDC guidance masks are recommended inside all buildings except when seated on the meditation cushion or at the dining table. This policy is to maximize your protection, and all others, from all COVID variants.
However, masks are still required if you share a room with another person.
- Physical Distancing in Meditation Hall: Cushions and chairs will be arranged to maintain physical distancing in the meditation hall.
- Sick Policy: If a practitioner becomes sick, they will be asked to remain in their room, and if serious, return home. We will also ask them to take an antigen self-test onsite, and if they test positive for COVID-19, they must exit the retreat. If they cannot return home due to travel restrictions, we will support their quarantine to the best of our ability.
- Ventilation: Weather permitting, we intend to open the doors and windows of Meditation Hall, Dining Hall, and other buildings for additional ventilation during the Gen-X Gathering.
The Gen-X Gathering will be limited to 50 participants to maintain minimum physical distancing of 6 feet while in the meditation hall and/or dining hall.
The Won Dharma Center will review and as necessary modify our safety guidelines as the Covid-19 situation evolves.
♦ Accommodations and Fee
The buildings of the Won Dharma Center include: Guest House I, Guest House II, Staff Residence, Meditation Hall, and the Administration Building/Dining Hall.
Each Guest House has three single rooms, six double rooms, and one quad room. In addition, we have a dormitory space which accommodates more than eight people. WDC can accommodate up to 46 guests. Won Buddhist ministers attending this conference will stay in the Staff Residence.
We understand that some guests may feel uncomfortable sharing a guest room due to concerns regarding Covid-19, therefore we will provide 15 single-occupancy tents on wooden platforms for those who choose to camp. Please note, only tents will be provided, guests must bring their own sleeping bags and mats if they choose to camp. We encourage those who feel comfortable sharing a room to choose this option as it will allow us to accommodate more people during the event.
The fee for attending the Gen-X Gathering is $100. Specific room requests shall be made based on availability, order of registration, and medically necessary accommodations to the extent possible. Local hotel/Airbnb options are also available nearby.
Please indicate your room preference on the application form when you register. Specify if you want a single room or tent, or whether you opt to share a guest room or dormitory space with others. This will greatly facilitate the process of assigning rooms/tents/dorm space. Images of the room types can be found on the Won Dharma Center website under “Facility” at www.wondharmacenter.org
Volunteers are an integral part of our retreat center. In order for this Gen-X Gathering to unfold smoothly, we will need your help in some areas. We would appreciate it if several participants could arrive one day prior the event. If you are able to do so, please let us know when you register.
Throughout the retreat, volunteers will be asked to assist with simple jobs, e.g. washing dishes, vacuuming or mopping the dining hall or meditation hall.
♦ Directions and Transportation
The Won Dharma Center is located in Claverack, New York on a beautiful 426-acre property and is conveniently located near both New York City and Boston:
- 2.5 hour drive from Boston (152 miles)
- 40 min drive from Albany International Airport in upstate NY
- 15 min drive from Hudson AMTRAK Station
AMTRK trains run seven times a day, every hour, from Penn Station in New York City to Hudson, New York. The average cost of a one-way ticket is $40.00.
The train ride is 2 hours and 15 minutes with only 5 stops. As you travel along the river, you will pass through the beautiful Hudson River communities of Rhinecliff, Poughkeepsie, Croton-Harmon, and Yonkers.
Taxis are generally available at the Hudson AMTRAK Station. However, it is always a good idea to plan ahead of time by calling one of the following companies:
Hudson Region Transport LLC: 518-697-0056, Cubs Taxi: (518) 929-6005
H Transport: (518) 577-5388 Gathering Shuttle Van
On Wednesday, July 13th, a 15 or 20 passenger van will be available to transport participants from JFK Airport to the Won Dharma Center.
Details on the exact meeting spot and times will be announced at a later date.
Registration will open in early 2022.